Saturday 4 March 2017

RAGHU






High up in moorlands I was hiking the peak... The unusual surroundings with greenery... Amazing view from the top just made my eyes sparkle ... I kept climbing up. I was so exultant with everything...  There were some more people walking with me … I decided to interact with them at camp 2 & ask for their experiences about trekking as it was my first time for trekking .. Just thinking all this my leg slipped at a stone and I was almost into the deep trench… when someone suddenly dragged me!!!!

Aaahh!!!!  It was my mom...” Raghu, wake up its already 8” she said... why did she wake me up I could have been on top any moment ... perhaps! It was time for High School ... I had to get ready and leave for School... 

All my way I couldn’t help but think about my morning dream. I was very excited thinking that the dream would be true someday very soon... as it is believed that morning dreams manifests to reality. I reached High School... Science lecture... what else could make me apprehend it was just a dream I could hardly concentrate to learn anything ... yes but I did learn something there. The ability to sleep with open eyes...

Something that I liked the most in High School was the view from our classroom window. which showed the huge mountains... Valleys n mesmerizing sunsets every evening... Most of my time used to pass thinking of how to reach that peak...


My father was a government servant and wanted me to become a big officer who will have a red light on the car.... I was way out of the league ... my passion for trekking was as casual as a joke for him ...He always ignored it in every way possible...
Few days later just passing by the school corridor some letters just crossed me >>TREKKING TRIP<< I could not believe my eyes... I was so agitated I directly rushed to the admin office to confirm what it was all about...
 
There I came to know it was a trekking trip to Kalasa. It was the same mountain I always wanted to trek... I could see from my classroom window... Further the administrator told me the trek was been arranged from Mr. Sanjay das... The name just ran through my mind... Search found... OH MY GOD!!!!! I had read about him, he was an inspirational trekker who has an enormous experience of trekking and now at his 50’s he is helping new adolescence to become trekkers… I had decided I wanted to go for this spree…
 
Coming home from High School I was gathering thoughts to convince my father … somewhere in my mind I knew he would never permit me for this slog…

As I went home I waited in my room for my father to come home...

As he was back from administrative center I offered him water... he was surprised with my gesture asked what I wanted from him... he was in good mood. I grabbed the opportunity gathered all my courage and told him about the trek tour... 

His expressions were as blunt as someone offered him bitter gourd promising gulab jamun... without countering to his expressions I continued... I said “dad I want to go for this trek, I know you don’t like me doing all this but I promise if u allow me for this trip I will concentrate more on my government exams after this slog  ... as it will also be a good break for me “
Listening to my bargain he was bit induced but did not said anything. But later left Rs.2000/- with my mother for my registration...

My Mother gave me the money next day as I was leaving home. I rushed to high school and registered myself for the trip... not many of them had registered... the count went only till 15... But I did not mind as my friends were coming with me...

We planned many things to do there…

The day came when we had to leave for trekking.

We were been picked up from High school by bus... all the necessary gears were been divided among the students for trek...

I was in charge for all the medical needs...

I carried everything possibly needed... I searched net... read blogs and did all research about trekking as I was very excited to go…

As we reached the base of kalasa mount. We met Mr.Sanjay das I was very pleased to meet him...

We all had introductions and instructions were given by Mr. Sanjay about all the safety measures...


We started trekking with a huge group shout...

The journey started...

We were told that we all in common have   a base camp... and camp 1... Camp 2 ...camp 3 and summit

I understood that the camp was for 5 Days and the students who will survive 2 days without any problem and ease will be taken higher to camp 3 and rest will have to return back and continue High School...

We started the journey.  The views were never like seen before. So much beauty all around.  we all were having fun... I was too much lost in the beautiful environment... excitement to show our high school from top I ran back to Vijay, suddenly a big stone just impinged me and I was pushed back into the trench... where the safeguards ran to me and dragged me up

 Everyone was scared with this... Mr. Sanjay controlled the situation and made everyone relax... I was scared too... but then I just realized it was same as my dream I was glad about the fact that m trekking but it was a very negative impact on Mr. Sanjay I was upset but decided to complete rest of the journey carefully and not give Mr. Sanjay chance to make me out.

We reached base camp everyone were happy I insisted the coordinator that I will be sharing my tent with my friends Vijay and Prahlad... we three got a tent which was third from Sneha’s tent ..
Sneha was my classmate I had a crush on her but I was happier to be on trekking and fact that she was along...

We had campfire we... sang songs. Cooked dinner all of it was real fun...
We went back to camp. Took rest for the night...

Next day early morning we started the journey... everyone was tired but excited to reach the next camp..

Mr. Sanjay who was leading the whole group was an excellent trek leader. Trek Leader’s job is full of responsibilities . He managed the back end operation team, Ration, Equipment with assistance of other team members. Other than this his main role is leading the trekkers throughout the trek with full safety. 

The main test of trek leaders comes in the wake of emergency or unfavorable weather or conditions. He showed the example in my case. He also performed the administration tasks such as accounting, handling all decisions, arranging the daily logistics, researching unfamiliar territory and managing the ever changing group dynamics. He also made us explain what all we can learn from trekking...
Trekking teaches you many lessons in life

To Trust Yourself

To be in the moment

To Explore

To Find Internal Harmony

To Connect with another Human

To Problem Solve

To Power Through

I was very much into his teachings... I wondered that was ever I had understood and interested in learning somethings...


We reached camp 2. as everyone was celebrating the success to reach the camp, the coordinator announced that the names of student going ahead will be declared in few hours.
 I was very nervous...

 I spoke to some students most of them did not want to go back as they will have to join school as soon as they reach... I too had similar reasons but most important was I wanted to trek and reach the top...

I was very buoyant that I will reach the top and set the flag there. I was very eager to know the outcomes as my name had to be in it, I believed.
Results were declared only 3 students are going ahead said the coordinator. Rests of the students were going back… Out of 15 only 3 that was a very fewer no.

The coordinator said only one girl could make it and it was surprisingly Sneha...
I was so excited. I started imagining us both putting flag together at the peak…
And coordinator interrupted my dreams and announced the other two names...


It was Amit and Vijay...


The names were declared… I stood shocked!!!  I felt like a small earthquake in my heart & my mind blasted… I was smashed I could barely sense myself…  I wanted to cry loud … I gripped my wrist very tight and stood there... a small drop of tear just ran across my cheeks … I wiped it before anyone could notice... I coped to control more tears... I went back to tent for stuffing …

Vijay came running happily and asked if I could lend him my compass which I had purchased for this slog... I wanted to say a big NO!!

But I just moved out of tent and pointed him towards the compass... he followed me and said “I am sorry Raghu  ... I never wanted to hurt you I just did not realized how much you liked trekking, I think I should talk to Mr. Sanjay and recommend you instead of me”
I was touched by the approach Vijay had towards me I patted him on back and told him that I don’t want to go if Mr. Sanjay thinks I don’t deserve to...

I packed my stuff and went back home...

I was distraught. As I reached home my mother asked me about my trek I answered her with good and went to my room... I just lay down on my bed... I stayed there all evening... I refused mother for dinner... I fell asleep the same way...

Next morning alarm woke me up... I decided not to go High School... but then it was Saturday and father were supposed to be home I was sure he would make me realize about all the time I have wasted and start concentrating on government exams..

I decided to go High School… everyone was very excited after the trip... teachers expected us to do write-ups on our experiences and appreciated students who went ahead...

I was very disappointed with the experience of this trek I decided to concentrate on my studies as I had believed that I wasn’t capable of becoming a trekker.

Days passed... I completed my HSC and dad wanted me to start giving exams ... I had no courage to disagree his decision... 

I studied for those exams and passed one and became an IPS officer
...Everyone was very happy... my father hugged me out of proud and love… He called every single relative and his colleagues to give the news ..

I was happy watching everyone else happy... I decided to take up the job and just let go all the past… 

Mr. Sanjay was my Inspiration for trekking but the fact that he did not thought me to be able to do treks, broke my self-confidence for trekking...

Today I am 60 years old... I am retired as an officer... but somewhere the 20 yrs. old boy Raghu inside me still keeps saying...

One incident should not have been the decision maker of my life... maybe I may have not earned like I have earned today but I would have been 1000 times more satisfied retiring like Mr. Sanjay Das... And lot happier after working for so many years. I realize work satisfaction is something you cannot buy with money…and position... I could have been happier and rested with peace…







©Samruddhi Bhalke













8 comments:

  1. Astonishing story, very inspirational and makes you think about your real passion and your decisions towards them..........
    Amazing writing by upcoming writer....keep writing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely experience sam...awesum baby..love reading...n had sent me bak in my school memories n trekking advantures...so sweet dear ..

    ReplyDelete